Personal assistants are usually concerned with being in major U.S. cities like Los Angeles or New York City so that can score a great PA gig with a high net worth family. Be advised: world-class personal assistant jobs are all over our nation (cities big and small).
Grand Rapids, Michigan, for example, is one of America’s best kept secrets. GR is a small city in Western Michigan about a three-hour drive north of Chicago – and was recently voted by Forbes as the best city to raise a family.
Grand Rapids, Michigan voted #1 by Forbes
Grand Rapids has one of the highest concentrations of wealth – for small cities – in the nation. Some of the wealthy families include:
- Amway founders Jay Van Andel and Richard DeVos, who are billionaires.
- The Meijer family is also on Forbes’ billionaire list (they run a supermarket empire)
- Steelcase is an international office furniture company with a slew of well-paid executives.
- The Bissell family, founders of the multi-billion-dollar vacuum company, is also in Western Michigan. And like the Amway family, they also travel in private jets.
And if a small town doesn’t suit your needs, across the state in Detroit the wealthy are plentiful:
- Ford motor car family (and HQ executives)
- GM: General Motors headquarters
- Detroit Tigers baseball team
- Detroit Lions football team
- Detroit Pistons NBA team
There are a total of 11 billionaires in the state of Michigan:
- Dan Gilbert: $3.9 billion
- Manoj Bhargava: $1 billion
- Michael and Marian Ilitch: $3.2 billion
- Ronda Stryker: $3 billion
- Alfred Taubman: $2.7 billion
- John Brown: $1.5 billion
- Manuel (Matty) Moroun: $1.5 billion
- William Ford Sr: $1.4 billion
- John Stryker: $1.4 billion
- Roger Penske: $1.3 billion
As far as other high net worth families go, the list goes on and on. In short, New York and California may be the holy grail for personal assistant jobs, but there are plenty of six-figure opportunities in other parts of the United States.